Moveable fencing and geese

spud1035

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 25, 2009
nw ohio
Hi gang,

Am I dreaming or is it possible to contain geese with three foot movable fencing?

First, just to let ya know what my goal is. I would like raise about ten geese and rotate them in my yard. I already have a portable coop for em that my chick's are currently using(they'll get the boot of course). I would like to surround my coop with some type of moveable fence. My goose of choice would be pilgram so flying shouldn't be a problem. I would like to only have to move it every five to seven days. I have my doubts with electic fence d/t thick feathering. I'm not that concerned with keeping critters out as much as keeping the geese in. Anybody currently using a system for this that works?

I don't think that sounds like too far out of a dream.... I think that would keep them in pretty good. Will it be a relatively large space they would have? My initial thought is that as long as they didn't feel too crowded and confined they would do fine and enjoy their grazing.

It should work with most geese depending on the variables: How big the area is in relation to the growth rate of the grass and how often the pen is moved. Some geese will eat down an area fast if the grass does not grow fast enough to keep up. But then you could just move the pen more.

If you get a goose that thinks flying is great sport, then you could deal with that also. I have two that just pick up and go where ever they want. Thankfully they WANT to stay close to the rest.
smile.png
But they were on the road one day when I came home and in the process of driving them back, one, with one of the ducks they were with took off and flew home and the other with it's duck companion waddled on home. My tallest fence - 8 ft pen - only holds them if they want to be there.

Quote:
I hate to rain on your parade but young (first year) pilgrims can fly! or at least ALL of mine have. That may have been due to the fact that I had a flying China goose to teach them. You know how they like to race around flapping their wings when they are feeling frisky after being let out of the coop? Sometimes they get airborn. Goosy see goosy do, soon they were all taking short flights when they were turned loose before they settled down down to the serious business of grazing or bathing.
Now for the good news even with flying geese I was able to control their grazing area with a very cheap non-electric fence that you could move in less time than it will take me to tell you about it. go to http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/assistance/backyard/privatelandsprogram/geese_control_homeowners.pdf
to
see details on what they calll "flash tape fence" and there is another part that covers electric goose fence. If you don't have adobe reader program pick up a copy on any website that uses .pdf files. It is put out by MN state Dept of Natural Resources and tells you how to protect against pest Canada geese. I used the flash tape system for two years before I got new neighbors that wouldn't keep their darn dogs to home. The system offers no protection from preditors or dogs. Nor will it stop geese that are in desperate need of food or water. Like I said my geese could fly but they would all be in the fenced off area when I got home from work!

thanks for the input. Like you said, if they eat an area quickly, I will have to move em more often.

Goosedragon, thanks for the flash tape idea, it looks to be a rather inexpensive item also. How durable is it? and how close does it needs to be supported? it looks like every 20 foot according to dnr but don't know if that works for you. Do you fasten it with electrical tape according to the directions?

I haven't had problems in the past with predators except hawks so I've been lucky there. That don't mean I won't have problems in the future.

thanks again jeff

Back
Top Bottom