Moveable fencing??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by horsewishr, Mar 3, 2008.

1. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Has anybody ever used netting or lightweight fencing to keep their chickens semi-confined while free ranging? I'd like to keep mine out of the neighbors' yards, but our yard isn't fenced. It would be nice to put a "fence" up on the property line. Are there any options if I want them to have more space than a tractor affords?

Links greatly appreciated.

2. User48

User48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2007
    Take a look at www.mypetchicken.com - They have something similar in the fencing/housing area. Unfortunately, it always seems to be "out of stock," but if you call them directly, maybe they could special order it for you or give you contact info for someone to buy from directly. Please let us know if you track down anything. I'd like to find something quick and easy to put up in our fenced pasture just to keep my various breeds separated while also giving everyone the benefit of some free ranging time.

Laura

3. User48

User48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2007
  4. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    My girls totally respect a cheap roll of "utility fencing" which I can set up in various places as needed. I use the green vinyl-coated stuff because it blends right into the yard and is nearly invisible. Last year I just stood it up letting the curve of the wire keep it upright.... This year I plan to sink PVC tubing into the lawn (to ground level) and make short (15-20') "panels" out of the fencing, with thin metal posts at the ends that can be simply placed in the PVC tubes and moved around as needed.

Of course this has NO predator protection so I watch them when they are out like this.

5. Betsy

Betsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northeast Indiana
    Have you heard of electronet fencing? It looks like the fencing on www. mypetchicken.com but somehow is electrified so that predators can't get in. I've never tried it but would like to if I ever am able to have chickens where there aren't so many hawks.

6. horsewishr

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    wow, this could get expensive!

SeaChick, can you provide a link to the type of fence you're talking about? thanks.

7. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  8. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought some green nylon fencing at Menards about 2yrs ago. It came in 50' & 100' lenghts X 48" high. It's great stuff! Wish I could remember the cost but it couldn't have been too much since "We bought it" [​IMG] We never have much $ so I'm figuring it was on sale and probably about $50. Light weight and doesn't scratch you up trying to set it up. Yes I'm a girl and wire always seems to roll back on me and snag me up. YUK!) It's doubled so that you can run it over posts what ever distance you've placed the posts. You can use garden staples to tack down the bottom for extra security. I was telling my DH that I'd like another lenghth or so to subdivide the chicken yard once in awhile or add some extra winter sun space. You can bring the two ends close and wire on a temp gate. I'll look up a pic and try posting later today. Predators don't seem to like it for some reason. Maybe they think they will get trapped in it (like a net).
    Anyway, it's been working great for us.

9. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Here is the nylon netting we use. We bought it in 2006 and have left it up since. Just pull the caps off the poles and pull netting off. It can be cut to shorter lenghs. We bought at Menards next to snow fencing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a bit closer so you can see the texture of the weave.

[​IMG]

10. horsewishr

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    that's perfect, KOTH! I'll check at Menards. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by