1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moveable Run Help!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MamaChick0708, May 23, 2016.

1. MamaChick0708

MamaChick0708 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    Hi Guys, Well we finally reached that glorious stage in chicken raising where they are in the coop! We made a movable run so the girls have access to fresh grass and I get to keep some semblance of a yard. So here is my issue, I had read and article that you can teach your chickens to go right to the run by herding them. Ha Ha! Mostly they are herding me as I have to chase them or grab them to go in the run, and with two kids sometimes my children forget to not let the ones who are in the run out I am having to get more chickens back in the run, and today we were only a few feet from the coop! So here is my question, how many of you use a movable run, if so do you herd your chickens, if not how do you get them to and from the coop without having to carry each one? I have considered moving the run once they are all in but I worry about chicken toes getting injured. Ideas?

2. potato chip

potato chip Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I don't put my chickens in a moveable run, but I can get them to go back to their yard if they've been out marauding around the "garden". The answer is food. How are your girls fed? If you put their feeder in their run, they will want to go there as soon as they realise that that's where their breakfast is to be served. Otherwise, fling some veges or pellets about in the run, if they aren't in the vicinity, try a "pied piper", flinging little bits so that they follow you. They should go running to have what you are serving them to eat. When luring them somewhere, use whatever words you want to mean "come". I go chookchookchook. They'll come to chookchookchook because they think it means food.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.

Agreed. It's much easier to lead them than herd them - especially when using food as a motivator. Putting the feeder in the run is a great idea. You don't need it in the coop at night as they don't eat at night anyway. Mine respond to "chick chick chick" because they k ow that usually means a treat. And "treat" could mean anything from a full-blown meal to a few pellets of horse feed. They really don't care what it is. Sometimes I don't even need to call them - if they see me with a bucket, they come on the run whether I call them or not. When I'm trying to lure them someplace, I just toss tiny amounts and keep moving toward where I want them. When we get there, I'll toss in a larger amount to get them all in and then shut the door.

4. MamaChick0708

Mar 17, 2016
    Well getting the chickens to move around is improving! They learn quickly. Now I have a new question. Were headed out of town and I have somebody staying at our house to take care of animals. Since were new at this. Im wondering what you would do on days that there is supposed to be rain? Would you let the chickens go in and out of the coop keeping food in a covered area of the run or would you leave them in the coop all day? Our weather in GA is so flipfloppy that I worry that a chance of rain could decrease and then they spend the whole day in the run. Any advice of what you would do?

5. potato chip

How old are your chickens? Are they fully feathered? My chickens don't seem to mind being in the rain so I wouldn't feel any need to confine them - but I live in a dry, warm climate so it's quite pleasant even getting wet in the rain.

In your arrangement, I'd partially cover the run with a tarpaulin and let them out. They can stand under the tarp if they want to.

If they are fluffy chickens without feathers, I'd keep them indoors and not let them get wet.

6. MamaChick0708

Mar 17, 2016
    What if its going to thunderstorm? Would you then confine them to the coop? Im talking like storms.

7. MamaChick0708

Mar 17, 2016
    Yes my chickens are all 12 weeks or older.

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    My coop is open for them to come and go as they please. Chickens aren't too bright, but they usually have sense enough to come in out of the rain if they're getting cold and wet.

9. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    I like to have a covered section of the run where the Chooks can hang out when it's raining and where the feeders and waterers are.

10. potato chip

Big storm, thunder and lightning, yes, I'd keep them inside until it's all over. I imagine they'd like to stay there in those conditions, although I'm not sure mine still wouldn't want to be marauding around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by