1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Moveable run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChixPix, Jun 24, 2010.

1. ChixPix

ChixPix In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    I have 2 acres with about a million bugs and worms and all kinds of yummy grasses. I also have a flower bed that I have been babying for 2 years, so I don't want to let the chickens free range. That and the fact I live in the middle of a bean field (literally) so I'm scared the chickens will go in and I'll never see them again.

20 chickens... RIR and BR.

Hubs and I were talking the other day about maybe making something that we could move around - just a run - so that the chicks could get a "taste" of "ranging" I probably wouldn't put them all in at one time, maybe 6 per day, switch them out once in a while. Then move the run to a new spot and let them eat there. Keeping them safe AND my flowers safe all at the same time.

Anyone ever done this? Kinda like a tractor with no coop.

2. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Sure! It's a daytime tractor. Lots of people do that. I have two of them.

3. ChixPix

ChixPix In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    You know, as soon as I said "tractor without a coop" I was like "DUH, tractor without a coop!"

LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by