1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moved 4 week old chicks to the shed. Is that safe?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Abunari, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Abunari

Abunari Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2015
    My 12 chicks outgrew their brooder tote so i set them up in a large baby gate with padding , shavings and a 175 watt heat lamp above them. I also put cardboard around the pen and enclosed most of the too also.

They dont seem happy lol. They are staying under the lamp. They are not cheeping loudly or seem to be in distress. Low tonight may get 34.

Will they be ok?

I couldnt keep them inside anymore! Im hoping im just being an over protective first mommy lol

2. Abunari

Jan 1, 2015
    anyone. Im freakn out lol. Maybe im being paranoid

3. dandan111

dandan111 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    How old are they? Is it nice and warm u der the lamp?

4. Abunari

Jan 1, 2015
    They are four weeks and 2 days. I hold my hand under the lamp and i can feel the warmth. They are staying within a 12 in diameter of the lamp atm. Not chirping loudly but not wonderin anywhere either. Then again its prolly bed time right. My thermometer isnt reading very well sadly.

5. dandan111

dandan111 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    4 weeks that's probly pretty good. I'm new to this. I was planning on moving mine into the barn at 3 weeks. 34 is pretty chilly but I bet they will be ok. You probly got the lamp about a 1ft and 1/2 ubove?
    Make sure you don't have a bad breeze blowing cold air on them.

6. Abunari

Jan 1, 2015

I have a layer of cardboard wrapped around the pen and covered 80 percent with blankets and such lol. I figure they would tell me by cheeping loudly is what one person Told me. My husband said im paranoid lol. Prolly am but im ok with that!

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    If they are huddled under the lamp, they are cold. Recheck the set-up. Is there enough bedding? A very secure lamp to prevent a fire? No drafts?Maybe it is just about he time, but I'd be watching a bit longer. Mary

8. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    there's another thread going where someone posted about taking the brooder out of the coop and the chicks not appreciating it. Someone in that thread posted that chickens don't like any change to their world and if you make changes to the their world they will punish you...........[​IMG]

do you have a thermometer in there with them to give you an idea of what the temp is? at over 4 weeks, they should be just about fully feathered anyway. I'd say they're just not happy about the change and it will take them a few days to acclimate themselves to the "new world" you've given them.......

9. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    My first batch is 4 1/2 weeks old and already sleeping on the cold, dark roost bars under the overhang of my barn roof like regular chickens. The temp is 38* as I type this tonight. Yours in the shed @ 34* with a lamp will be fine.

10. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    You might be pushing it. I wouldn't put my 5 week olds out unless I was sure the heat lamp was able to keep at least 85 under it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by