Moved a broody hen...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickensXOXO, Feb 15, 2012.

1. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    A mottled hen was sitting on a nest for about a week, but when she got up to eat, other hens would come and lay on top of the nest - as that seems to be "the" nest. So she moved onto a new, fresh nest. Before I could ditch the eggs, another blue hen started sitting on them today. I'm pretty certain the eggs went without a hen a whole night, so I had to ditch them. Plus, it's "the" nest, so I figured the same thing would happen again.

So not thinking, I just went outside (basically dark now) and tossed her eggs. Feeling bad for her, I started her a new nest. I stupid like took 3 of the mottled hen's eggs and put under her. THEN I found two new eggs and added to it. So the other eggs will be about a day or two older than the new ones. Is that horrible?! [​IMG]

Another reason, I'm mad at myself is what if the blue hen gets up! I wasted the mottled hen's 3 eggs. It's really not that important I hatch them, I guess.... but for some reason, it bums me out. lol

So the thing is, I've never moved a broody hen before. I've heard you can at night. So what's the chances she stays on the nest? And is it okay that I mixed the old eggs with two new eggs?

Thanks in advance.

2. lclough1998

lclough1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, I know how hard that can be, one goes broody it seems like every one wants in on the action and lays eggs in the broodys nest or goes broody themselves! Is a mottled a bantam breed, not familiar with that one, but we put our broodys in a dog crate in the coop if there is room and lock her in with the eggs. We take her off the nest at least once a day to poop drink eat and dustbathe and then depending on timing, we either put her back in or she goes back in on her own and is locked in to keep her on the nest and other birds from laying eggs in her nest. Be sure to put a little cup of water and food in the crate as well

Setting eggs a day or so apart is ok because they wont hatch all at the same time and she will sit there for a couple days while her new babies get stronger.

Good luck!

3. ChickensXOXO

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    Mottled as in color. Added that so everyone would know which hen I was referring to in the story. [​IMG]

I've had tons of broody hens to hatch out chicks, but I've never played around with their nests at all. I've always let them sit wherever they sit. Never really had a problem with them moving around or other hens laying on their nests as I know of either. So I wasn't sure what to do here.

I guess we'll see if she stays on the nest tomorrow or not. [​IMG]

4. Jessshan8

Jessshan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Kalispell, Mt
    do not worry about it hens will rotate their eggs around moving some to the edge and others more under her to regulate the developement of the growing chicks. so they will hatch around the same time within a day or two. mother nature knows best!

5. ChickensXOXO

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    She didn't stay on the nest!!

Now she's sitting with another hen that's been sitting for over a week! [​IMG]

6. Jessshan8

Jessshan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Kalispell, Mt
    if you could set her aside in a dog crate or a sectioned off space away from the other hens with her own food and water she will stay on the nest. I had this problem last summer with two broody hens the other hens chased them off the nest when they went to lay their own eggs and my broody hen just moved to another nest.So I moved her to a secure place so that the other hens could not disturb her and she hatched 19 out of 21 eggs (she is a large orpington hen). they really do not care who's eggs they hatch they just feel the need to hatch some eggs.

7. lclough1998

lclough1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

did you try to move her back or ?

8. ChickensXOXO

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    She finally gave up, so she's not sitting nowhere now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by