Moved broody silkie and eggs into litter box today and ...

cthrash1

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Somerset, KY
My BTB jap is really confused now and slightly irritated at me. She has been laying eggs in my broodys nest for the last 3 days. I laughed today, she was going from box to box trying to find the nest of eggs. My silkie looks like she's going to stay put, wish me luck. She's been in one of the nest boxes for over 2 weeks now and I thought the littler box would keep the eggs warmer when she goes out in the mornings to do her thing as it is covered and has no side holes. Her nest on the other hand was right next to the hatch and about 20 inches up and I was afraid that when the eggs start hatching the babies may fall out...

Good plan to move them so that the babies are safe when they start hatching. I'm glad your broody doesn't seem to be disturbed by the move. She'll probably appreciate having a nice, quiet place where the other hens aren't climbing in to lay every day. What day are they on?

So how is she doing Cindy? Did you confine her to the nest so she doesn't forget where it is? My dad moved one of my broodies once, and her and another were in the coop (that none of the other chickens used). He decided, after telling me to keep them locked in there for a few days, to open the door and let my splash hen out. Needless to say, she lost her nest. I moved the other broody back where she was, and added the eggs to her nest. It didn't do me any good anyway, cause something took that hen off the nest when she was hatching, and I only got 1 chick. But the point is that if you move them, and don't confine them, they may lose their nests. Good luck!!! Your jap is probably wanting to go broody as well, maybe that's why she wants a nest with eggs in it?

<edit> If you ever come see me
wink.png
I'll give you some straw to put in your nests!!! That would help keep them warm.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well the litter box is right below the nestboxes on the floor of the coop except further toward the back wall so it's further from the hatch so I don't have a way to isolate her to it unless I put something in front of it...But I always stay out there until she goes back in anyway, plus her treat cup went with her to her new nest, and God forbid if I don't fill it every morning...She lets me have it up one side and down the other til I fill it...I think she'd bring the cup out to me if she could.

It will be a couple of weeks before I get over there and by that time she'll almost be done but will take a little anyway if you don't mind to put in the corner on top of the shavings for the BTWJs...They always dig them a hollow in the shavings and lay in that together.

Yeah no problem. Mine would have found hers, if it hadn't been moved so far away. Didn't you have a dog cage for Coco? I use mine as broody houses a lot. Just take the pan out of the bottom so there isn't so much of a mess! But it sounds like she might do ok.

Back
Top Bottom