Moved chickens two weeks ago...no eggs yet...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hobbley_Farm, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Hi all....I'm a Newbie here...again. I was on a about two year ago but stopped comming when my life got busy...and have since forgot my screenname, password, and can't get into that email anylonger. I was probably culled out for inactivity anyway.

At any rate...I was hoping for some experienced advice and feedback. We moved our chickens from across the street (my mothers house) to our house. This has been about two weeks ago. They haven't laid an egg since the move. They have a bigger area to scratch, plenty of water and food (of course) and I lock them up every night...which is getting easier as most of them are learning to just GO to bed when I tell them to.

Are they past their egg laying prime? Should I retire them and get younger chickens? Are they just settling down?

Any advice will be great!

2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    First, how old are they? I am assuming that they were laying regularly at your moms before you moved them.

I think it is perfectly normal for them to take up to 3 weeks to begin laying again after a transition. So, I wouldn't be too worried yet.

As far as retiring them, it depends on their age. After they are 2 years old, their production will go down, but they will still continue to lay. If you are wanting a VERY high production, then I would consider getting new chicks to add to your flock to replace the ones you cull/rehome.

Hope this helps!

3. chilisweet

chilisweet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    ditto with the above poster. Also, I talked with a lady the other day who had a bunch of 5 yr old Barred Rocks, who were still laying, so unless your girls are super old, I wouldn't consider switching them out just yet.

Also, if you do introduce more girls to the flock, than give your existing ones another 2-3 weeks to get adjusted and start laying.

Good luck!
    ~Caran

Oh btw : [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Don't give up. I have also had mine for two weeks, and they are laying only once in a while (see my whining post :))

5. Hobbley_Farm

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Thanks for everyones rapid reply. This evening while checking on them I did find my first egg. So someones slump is over. They must have known i was becoming impatient. Hopefully the other three will follow in line. I then have two females who are top hats who should be just a few weeks away as well. I also have some day olds comming the end of this month. I'll retire my girls out in the spring I guess. At any rate, thanks all [​IMG]

6. Hobbley_Farm

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    well, recieved another egg today. Don't know if its from the same hen or not. It was in the same place. Hopefully I'll receive more and more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by