moved chicks to brooder room today PICs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rafter 7 Paint Horses, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    We moved the chicks that hatched March 30 & 31 from their brooder boxes to the brooder room today.

Here are pics taken on April 1st.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This chick is not de-formed...it is one of my Buff Turkens with an EE's fluffy head and beak positioned just right, making it look strange!
    [​IMG]

Here is the brooder room today as we moved them and set up brooder, waterers and feeders.
    I ran out of shavings, so I had to use hay for the insulation on top of the brooder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are EE, Ameraucana, RIR, Red Star Sex Link, Delaware, Dominique, Turken, Standard Game, Barred Rock, and some mixes.

Jean

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  2. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    This looks like a good set up. Do you have a light in your brooder? Its still to cold here in NC to put my Silkies out, I am hoping for this weekend. We built the Silkie house last weekend. We just need the weather to co operate. I will have a heat light in mine for a while. They are 7 weeks old.
    Good luck with yours, I only have 7, looks like you have many more! [​IMG]

3. antiquebuff

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    This looks like a good set up. Do you have a light in your brooder? Its still to cold here in NC to put my Silkies out, I am hoping for this weekend. We built the Silkie house last weekend. We just need the weather to co operate. I will have a heat light in mine for a while. They are 7 weeks old.
    Good luck with yours, I only have 7, looks like you have many more! [​IMG]

4. antiquebuff

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Just call me the happy poster! [​IMG] I hit this twice and could not get it to remove so Good Luck again!

5. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    That box with all the hay on it is the brooder.
    The chicks can go under it and it has two heat lamps under there, so they can run in and out of it as they see fit. The top has a 4 inch lip that the hay is stacked on for insulation. As the chicks grow, they get on top and roost. The heat lamps warm the hay or shavings that are on top, so their feet stay warm and they don't get chilled even it is cold outside.
    I prefer to use shavings or shredded paper on top, but when I don't have them, I use hay.

Here is a pic of another brooder we have and a pic of the underside with lights on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jean

6. mandomama

mandomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    corvallis oregon
    That is a cool idea!

7. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Wow, how cool!! Your little chicks probably think they're on a tropical island somewhere. They have the warmth and the little grass shack!! You must have some happy chicks!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by