Moved ducklings to outside pen(pics!)-when to free range?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Miss Ducky, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Miss Ducky

Miss Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    I moved my ducklings to an outdoor pen the other day. (About 3 weeks) Just thought I'd share some pics. So far they are loving it-especially the access to the pond all day! At night I lock them in the house to protect them from predators. Their second night and already they go inside by themselves! The pen is not very predator proof, (Already a painted turtle and a frog found their way in!) it's mostly there to confine them and protect them from hawks during the daytime. When they get older I will free-range them. I told my dad that I thought it would be about two weeks before we could give them the run of the yard/pond, but I'm not really sure. What do you guys think? I'm thinking they will be fully feathered in a week or so. They will still be put in the house every night, just the pen won't be there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just because they're outside doesn't mean less bonding time! They come in every day for snuggles! (That and I obsessively check on them in the middle of the night and every hour of the day....)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  2. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Very cute! [​IMG] I think you should wait at least until they are 7 weeks to keep them safe. [​IMG]

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I would say 2 months of age is sufficient. I had mine in my fenced in backyard until they were 4 weeks old. Then I herded them everyday into the 1+ acre fenced in yard and they have been there since. We later plan on having them go into the field and meadow by themselves, but I want them to be at least 6 month before they are allowed to do so. That area is over 22 acres and fenced.

4. 4hducklover

4hducklover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2010
    I really like that pen! good job![​IMG]

5. Miss Ducky

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    Thanks-but I actually had nothing to do with it. My wonderful dad build the pen and the house! [​IMG] Thanks daddy! (And he can't wait until the ducks have the run of the pond and will eat all the algae!) [​IMG]

6. Miss Ducky

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    Are you sure I should wait that long? Their run isn't very big, and they are growing very fast!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by