moved half my babies into a new brooder today.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bj taylor, Feb 13, 2012.

1. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i knew i was running out of space as they grew (i didn't expect to have the numbers i did). i've been reading here & a book i had bought, then i got advice from theoldchick today & knew i better do something pretty quick or i was going to start having consequences.
    i fashioned a new brooder out of our german shepherd's crate (he gave his permission of course). i worked really hard to make sure drafts were not a problem. i bought waterer & feeder identical to the ones they had, trying to minimize their stress.
    THEN i did the hard deed. i've got a lady coming thursday to take half of my babies. i picked the ones i wanted to keep and keep the numbers i thought i could handle. i moved "my" babies into the new brooder. that worried me because i was afraid the stress would cause decline in some.
    three hours later everyone seems ok, almost.
    there was a little buff orpington girl who was starting to decline with all the pressure of the beginnings of over-crowding. i thought she was giving it up. i gave her (by dipping her beak into it) a slurp of sugar water w/electrolytes hoping it would get her up on her feet. she has since gotten up, drank some & eaten some.
    i don't know about the chicks, but this is causing me stress.
    oh, and lets not forget that my cats are now all re-interested. they had figured out they could not get to the babies, now there is a new opportunity - or so they think. [​IMG]

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Sounds like they'll be fine!

How old are your new babies??

[​IMG]

3. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    they're one week old. just little bitty. i'm shocked how fast they grow.

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Yep, they grow VERY fast!

Would love to see some pics of your itty bitty's when you get a chance.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by