Moved hen, clutch, and chicks last night...clutch abandonded?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by knittenchicken, Jun 10, 2016.

1. knittenchicken

knittenchicken New Egg

Apr 28, 2015
    Hi Everyone!
    First timer here, had hen brooding for some time. First chick hatched on June 5th, second on the 6th, and third not sure. 6 six eggs remained and yesterday the temerature soared to near 100 degrees. Also had locked others out of the coop. Full sun, no shade, cracked the lid of the tractor supply 2 nesting box model coop for ventelation.

After reading many threads, decided it was time to move to cooler climate and separate quarters. So, that's what we did last night.

All went well, but have some questions. Just read the sticky on this thread and think I got one question answered. What's wrong with this egg?

[​IMG]

Second question, until 2 minutes ago, she appeared to have abandoned her cluctch. What do we do if this is the case?
    [​IMG]

Lastly, I put the eggs in a milk crate..how is this set up, should I change anything? They are in our garage with fans ventelation g the space, but not directly on the crate.

Thanks,
    Denise

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

a hen will get off her clutch to eat drink and use the bathroom

3. knittenchicken

knittenchicken New Egg

Apr 28, 2015
    Since the move last night, she had not paid any notice to the eggs. My concern is they were left out in the open for too long. Maybe 13 hours. When I was writing my post, husband said she was on the eggs. I just checked again, looks like she is rolling them out of the egg crate. Is 13 hours too long? Should I put the eggs under her?

4. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

has she been on the eggs the full 21 days?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  5. knittenchicken

knittenchicken New Egg

Apr 28, 2015
    Don't know how to tell. Three have hatched. I think she was stealing another hen's eggs for awhile. I checked on her a minute ago and she scooted over to her eggs. Probably a case of let nature do it's thing. So much chicken drama in our home! Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by