Moved incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Alwayswantchics, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Alwayswantchics

Alwayswantchics Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Phelan, CA
    The temp in the incubator dropped last night to 96°. We decided to move it to the bedroom closet where it is less drafty. Set eggs on Friday. Hope this doesn't cause a problem.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Anytime there is a drastic up and down, the cellular development goes through mini starts and stops. This isn't good. But, I'd rather have a cold dip than a hot spike. If the broody gets off the nest of a drink or to eat, which they do, there's a brief dip.

A steady room environment is sometimes hard to achieve. We've had the best luck incubating in the cold basement. The temp is 60 degrees, but it is steady, so the incubator does just fine. Upstairs, the ambient temps swing from night to day and there isn't much I can do about that. The incubator works harder at keeping things level. Still, I've noticed the days are a half degree warmer than the nights on the incubator reading. I don't like it, but I also don't like going up and down the basement stairs 4 times a day for 21 days either. Shrug.

3. Alwayswantchics

Alwayswantchics Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Phelan, CA
    Hopefully they are okay.

4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    My last batch got cooler at night. I didn't know until after the hatch there was a draft. I would just warm them up in the morning -Here they are:

[​IMG]
    2/20

5. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    here is this batch: day 18[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    paid 3 dollars for thermometer, 9.00 for lamp 4bucks for 15 w bulbs. the wire I had so about 16.oo. total

6. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    the Bowl you see in bator is not for water, it is for fire safety.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by