Moved my Gambels outside finally!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Jeremiah.Chua, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Jeremiah.Chua

Jeremiah.Chua Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    My coops finally came in on Sunday. I was incredibly pleased with it and also excited that my garage will no longer smell like a farm (Since I kept my gambels in a 40 gallon breeder tank in the garage).
    14 Gambel quails total, they're only 2 months old. I threw a few Manzanita branches in the coop for them to "hide" in. It seems to help calm them down when they need a place to run to when I'm near the coop. The only time they'll approach me is when I have mealworms in my hand.
    There's so many flies in the coops, it's getting annoying. I bought vanilla scented car fresheners from bath and body, not sure if that's really working or not... so many darn flies. Anyone know a way to fix this? I'm scared of putting sticky fly traps inside the coop, because my quails fly all over the place in there. I threw DE around but that doesn't seem to help very much... If anyone has a suggestion, I'd really appreciate it!

I can't wait for them to get their full adult-colored plumage!

The red one is for my chickens. The one further, with the teal/blue/green roof is where my quail resides. The white stuff is DE that I threw around =x
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So far, I'm just feeding them Turkey crumble, 28% protein and mealworms. I'm not entirely sure if that is the correct food they should be eating though... I tried looking it up via google and BYC but not much info is out there in terms of what they should be eating as a staple diet. Can anyone shed light? Should I give them the gamebird crumble, 20% protein? No issues with eating the turkey crumbles so far, but who knows, it could be latent and won't appear until a much later date if I keep it up. Hopefully they'll be fine though. They've been on it for about a month now.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I like the coops [​IMG]

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Jeremiah.Chua :

My coops finally came in on Sunday. I was incredibly pleased with it and also excited that my garage will no longer smell like a farm (Since I kept my gambels in a 40 gallon breeder tank in the garage).
    14 Gambel quails total, they're only 2 months old. I threw a few Manzanita branches in the coop for them to "hide" in. It seems to help calm them down when they need a place to run to when I'm near the coop. The only time they'll approach me is when I have mealworms in my hand.
    There's so many flies in the coops, it's getting annoying. I bought vanilla scented car fresheners from bath and body, not sure if that's really working or not...
    I need to take a picture of flies sitting on those air freshners and then you can decide if they work or not LOL the best results I have had with DE is to wait until the fly larvae hatches the throw DE on them kina breaks the cycle of laying hatching and growing out the set up you have that might be hard to do mine are on wire the main way I have been combatting the flies is just keeping everything spotless it really helps a lot

so many darn flies. Anyone know a way to fix this? I'm scared of putting sticky fly traps inside the coop, because my quails fly all over the place in there. I threw DE around but that doesn't seem to help very much... If anyone has a suggestion, I'd really appreciate it!

The red one is for my chickens. The one further, with the teal/blue/green roof is where my quail resides. The white stuff is DE that I threw around =x
    http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac329/jeremiah_chua/IMG_0341.jpg
    http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac329/jeremiah_chua/IMG_0344.jpg
    http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac329/jeremiah_chua/IMG_0346.jpg

So far, I'm just feeding them Turkey crumble, 28% protein and mealworms. I'm not entirely sure if that is the correct food they should be eating though... I tried looking it up via google and BYC but not much info is out there in terms of what they should be eating as a staple diet. Can anyone shed light? Should I give them the gamebird crumble, 20% protein? No issues with eating the turkey crumbles so far, but who knows, it could be latent and won't appear until a much later date if I keep it up. Hopefully they'll be fine though. They've been on it for about a month now.​

4. Valley quail breeder

Valley quail breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Turkey crumble, 28% is fine until they mature than switch out to regular quail game feed 16% - 20% mealworms & apples add alittle oyster shell....

Jeremiah.Chua :

There's so many flies in the coops, it's getting annoying. I bought vanilla scented car fresheners from bath and body, not sure if that's really working or not... so many darn flies. Anyone know a way to fix this? I'm scared of putting sticky fly traps inside the coop, because my quails fly all over the place in there. I threw DE around but that doesn't seem to help very much... If anyone has a suggestion, I'd really appreciate it!

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac329/jeremiah_chua/IMG_0341.jpg
    http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac329/jeremiah_chua/IMG_0344.jpg
    http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac329/jeremiah_chua/IMG_0346.jpg

So far, I'm just feeding them Turkey crumble, 28% protein and mealworms. I'm not entirely sure if that is the correct food they should be eating though... I tried looking it up via google and BYC but not much info is out there in terms of what they should be eating as a staple diet. Can anyone shed light? Should I give them the gamebird crumble, 20% protein? No issues with eating the turkey crumbles so far, but who knows, it could be latent and won't appear until a much later date if I keep it up. Hopefully they'll be fine though. They've been on it for about a month now.​

5. Valley quail breeder

Valley quail breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Use sticky fly traps on outside of coops hang from a nail or a" L " bracket or something.

Quote:

6. Quail's Hollar Farm

Quail's Hollar Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    To be honest with you the quail don't need the meal worms. The only reason why people feed their birds worms is because of the protien the worms contain or to encourage breeding. You already have enough protien in the food so you don't need the worms. The worms and the amount of quail you have in such a small area is probably the reasaon why you have so many flies around the coops. Basically cut down on the quail, maybe to two or three pairs. Not only will that help the fly dillema but also when they get older they may feather pluck each other which will lead to bald or possibly scapless birds. Nice coops by the way!

- Quail's Hollar Farm

7. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Where did u get your quails ?

8. chuck12

chuck12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Indiana
    I have always wanted to hatch some Gambles .... I may get some eggs off here or ebay this fall and give them a go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by