Moved out 5 of my 11 chicks today! Pictures!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by secuono, Jan 23, 2011.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Well, I separated the two sick/house chickens and decided it was also time for the biggest of the Jap/D'Uccles to be taken out to the coop.
    They are the size of my 'dutch bantams', very tiny, no where near the size they should be, but, they need to go out.

Trimmed both wings, added the tag to their legs and put the coop in lock down for the next 24hrs. Will close off the 'big run' and make sure they can't escape in the original one. Then, will start opening the chicken door hopefully after just one day, maybe 2. After two weeks, I will start opening the human door for free-ranging.

Wish them luck!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  2. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Closed off the big run today, it's warm out at 54*, lol!
    If your wondering why close the big run, why does the smaller one stay open? Well, the 20 by 40ft big run is made 99% of just deer netting[plastic] the rest is green[plastic] garden stakes.
    The small run, 15 by 5ft, is made from chicken wire[metal] and stiff posts[fiberglass or something like that, far stronger than I thought it'd be].

The chickens can't escape the little run and it's a bit safer. So for the first 2 weeks, they get used to what to coop[barn] looks like and they learn from the other birds when to come back in. They also find their place in the pecking order.

Got to say, the big girls were NOT pleased when they ran into the end and then couldn't free-range. But I tossed in extra scratch, so they will get over it.

3. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    You should post pics of your chickens, I bet they're pretty! [​IMG]

4. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Hey your new! Welcome!

If they stay still long enough, I may have a few pics that are post-able, lol.

5. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    Hey, thanks! It's good to be here, I love BYC! [​IMG]

[​IMG] Can't wait to see the chickens. A lot of people here have really pretty birds.

I don't think I've seen any ugly chickens yet! [​IMG]

6. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    You haven't seen juvie Silkies, then. I have one I hatched and she is fluffy here, bald there, more fluff over that way and more flat and bald under here...lol.
    At least other chicks with regular feathers look more...stable.

7. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Well, since the last post, I was outside watching the birds free-range[the newbies were hiding inside] taking 438 pictures & videos!
    More pics are in my other thread.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Moved out 3 more Jap mix chicks.

9. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I think I'm going to move out all the birdies to the coop this week. The little Silkie, Sizzle, hobble Roo & 2 or 3 Japs[I think there's just 2 in the house...lol]
    Yay, I'll finally be chicken free in the house!!!
    ...until I buy more chicks....hehe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by