Moved Outside - Changes in Behaviour

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CheekyChooks, May 17, 2011.

1. CheekyChooks

CheekyChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Doncaster
    Hello,

So I moved my backyard flock outside last week (last Thursday) and every day since I put them outside they have been in the run constantly, pecking, exploring, flapping and generally just loving the outdoors. On a morning they have been eagerly hopping and chirping in anticipation for me to feed them and open the door to the run, even if the weathers been windy and a little chilly IMO.

Today though, it is very mild and no wind at all but they have all decided (every one of them) they would rather hole up in the coop in one of the nest boxes and snooze all day. They aren't cold, they just don't appear to be that interested in going 'out' anymore.

I wen't to check on them and they seem to be getting more 'flighty' too than they were in the house where we were able to pick them up often with very little fuss. Now, me just peeking my head in seems to cause caos and a mass of running feathers. I tried picking one or two up but they were doing everything to evade me so I had to corner them. Is this normal? They seemed so docile when they were in the house ...

So, in summary ... they are now a little less outgoing about their surroundings that they were few days ago and have started being a little more timid and flighty. I opened the run door thinking some more room to explore might perk them up but only a few dared venture out and as soon as I moved they all when scuttling back in. I'm so confused as I've had them from being babies ... is this normal do you think and will they calm down?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    They'll calm down once they get more familiar with the big new scary environment. It's a lot to take in with much more stimulus so the chickens are being, well, chicken. Instead of picking them up try feeding from your hand as they acclimate to free ranging.
    Then when chicken adolescents start they get flighty and intolerant of you again. The good news is they really clam down again after start of laying.

3. CheekyChooks

CheekyChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Doncaster
    I see ... Is it usual for the whole flock to stay in the coop all day even though they have free access to a run and the weather is mild and fairly warm? I'm off work today ill and I have enjoyed watching the scratch and peck around all weekend and then today I haven't seen them at all when I've popped down to the kitchen to make a cup of tea and take back to bed ... It seems so sad they haven't wanted to come out ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by