Moved Quail out

Discussion in 'Quail' started by swheat, Aug 15, 2011.

1. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I got my a&m moved out yesterday and my jumbo bobs today(all are 2 weeks old). The a&m did well the first night, but the bobs are already bangin their heads. Geez, I hope they are not all dead in the morning.

I made a double decker brooder with poop tubs under the top level. The height is about 12 inches...will I have dead quail in the morning..yikes! I put the bob in the top level so they might be less frightened from anything moving on the ground below..

The a&m tickle the fire out of me. I went out to check on them today and seen a couple of them just layed out, first thought was some died...them buggars really know how to relax [​IMG] they were just sleeping. [​IMG]

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Put something 'solid' over the top of the bobs' pen, that might help keep them from trying to kill themselves. Just cover it with a feed bag or something.

3. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    The brooder has solid wood top.

ETA: Very similar to this one but each level is not as tall(this one is for bantam chicks).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  4. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    looks perfect, shouldn't have to worry about much

5. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    nice!

6. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Thanks, I hope they do well in the coop.

I also made some feeders out of some 2 inch pvc pipe that I had laying around here. I cut a 2 inch wide strip out length wise(18 inches long). Then took my drill and drill out 2 inch donuts out of 1 X 4, then attached these donuts to 1 x4 x 3 in high. I inserted the donuts in the ends of the pvc pipe, aligned them up and flipped them up side down and put a screw in the very bottom attaching the pvc pipe to the would donuts...wa la feeders coming right up.

7. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Quote:thats too funny. coturnix really do love to lay with their legs sprawed out just chilling like a dog or cat would anyone who has seen it knows what we are referring too. funny little birds they are. in one of my large ground pens my birds have a hole dug 6 inches down and `8 in diameter. they dust and sprawl out in it and they always look like they are dead until i get closer and they stnd up real quick.

8. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    imho, you have the perfect #s in your pen, if they are able to chill like that. I know 5-6, 2wk old chicks in my rubbermaid brooders have enough room to stretch out without bumping each other, I think they are able to sleep more without being disturbed, I feel the good vibes watching them sleep like that, just my .02

9. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Just more pics [​IMG]

I got the lights burning tonight..we are supposed to go down to 63 degrees tonight ! Wow, a Cold front in August. I may drape some plastic over part of the open side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I like your set up steve...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by