Moved the 3 week olds to the coop today

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bobbieschicks, Nov 1, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I couldn't wait any longer - the dust and noise was escalating too much. So I put all eight 3 week olds in the coop on their side (technically it's my storage area, but I use it as an outside brooder) and I have locked them in for the next several days to get used to their new home. I know I've heard "no heat lamp" but since they aren't fully feathered yet I've set the heat lamp out there and last I checked it was 80F under that lamp - no one was huddled under it. I'll check on them again later and see if I need to turn it down or up. With the night time temps getting down to mid30s I'll keep the heat lamp on them at least at night for the rest of this week and for next week. They are getting used to their new home and will in the next 3 weeks be integrated into the existing flock (hopefully).

I'm tempted to turn off the lamp tonight - but with them not being fully feathered - I don't know if that would be a wise choise.

Already the house is much quieter and I miss seeing them when I turn around [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. clarkechick

clarkechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    I'm with you!
    I could not keep those chicks in the house any longer than 5 weeks.
    They got so big and messy! Good luck. I hope they transition smoothly : )

3. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Yeah I have some 2 week olds that are already driving me nuts lol, I had turkeys in the house for 8 weeks in the spring, that was bad enough lol

I will be building a partition in my coop for my babies and setting them up, definitely will be using a heat lamp for a couple weeks since they dont have feathers but I will be turning the light off when they are 4 - 4-1/2 weeks old.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I brood outside from Day 1.

I'd run the lamp, as needed. Let's just say that. Watch your high temps and your over night low temps and act accordingly. Watch their behaviors and they'll tell you whether they're warm enough or too cold. At week 5, only at night, and after week six, you're done. That's pretty much SOP.

You can also lower the wattage and/or raise the lamp to reduce the heat down to 65-70. No need to go from 80 directly to 40 or something like that. You can acclimate them, step by step, if you wish.

5. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:Having the separate area has worked well for me - the last clutch went into the temporary brooder area and they were integrated with little trouble. It's good for them all to get to know each other without having the bigs attack the littles. And it's outside!

Here's my set up. This is viewed from the little chicks side doorway - you can see the nosey bigs on the other side in the main coop area.
    [​IMG]

6. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I know how you feel- We are hanging the feeder and waterer tomorrow in the completely finished coop and going to put them out... mine are 5 weeks, I cant wait to put them out and so I dont have to vacuum and dust 3 times a day and at the same time I will miss having them right here at an arms reach 24/7

7. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    The babies were fine last night. I checked on them this morning. It was 70 in their side of the coop and they seemed fine. Checked a little bit ago and it was 80 in there and they were not under the lamp. So far they seem okay. I'll lower the temp next week during the night and turn it off during the day. Well of course I'll play it by ear. But they seem fine so far.

8. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    They were fine again last night and this morning their side of the coop was 65F degrees when I checked on them at 9:30a.m. - it was 45F outside. They were hopping around eating and running around trying to fly. They seemed happy enough. I will continue to monitor them but I think this week their heat lamp will stay put. Next week they will be 4 weeks old and I'll lower the lamp again to get them closer to outside temps.

[​IMG]

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I would keep heat on them like you mentioned but when mine were 4 weeks I could not believe all the dust flying around [​IMG] the noise was to loud and the smell from them in the basement was awful. We could not wait to get them out in the yard [​IMG] & [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by