Moved the babies outside and no more losses? (ADDED PICTURES!)

KYChixMama

Songster
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
I moved my meaties from the brooder coop in the barn to an outside grow coop I rushed to build, and we haven't lost one since. Previously I was losing 1 a day or every other day for unknown reasons. They're now on grass, the coop is being moved 2x a day, and it's much roomier.

Anyone else experience this? Kinda curious as to the direct affect on the losses.

Last edited:
They've been off the light since 2 weeks (it was pretty warm here at the time) and they were living in a large wire cage in the barn - a tad crowded but not too bad. So now they're outside, it's been chilly at night (in the 40's) and they're thriving. The group that's a week younger has even hit a growth spurt since going outside and has nearly caught up with their older siblings. Oh - and everyone is finally fully feathered (and it happened fast). Odd critters... LOL

I'm just thrilled. I think I'll adapt the grow coop to be a little more insulated and move them outside faster next time. They are definitely happier outside. I know this is sappy, but I want them to enjoy their short lives as much as possible.

We just put our three week old Cornish out in their portable pen, and they acted like they were in heaven. I think there is nothing sappy about caring for your meat birds. I feel the same way about ours. I was worried they would be cold with the temps in the 60's during the day and mid 40's at night but it all seems to be going well. Do you take the feeder out at night or leave it in there?

Quote:
I take the feeders out at 8pm and put them back at 8am. Seems to be working well. I also move their grow coop at least 2x a day and scatter scratch with each move.

The Open Air Poultry book written like 100 years ago talks about how cold hardy chickens are. And I see posts after posts talking about keeping them warm and then we tend to keep them warm without thinking about how they are made to live outside. We have one chick who loves to be held..if you put your hand cupped over a chick.you can just feel the insane amount of heat released from their bodies..and she pooped on my finger and it actually felt hot. Chickens produce a lot of their own warmth..and need air!

Back
Top Bottom