Moved the chickies to the coop!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jen4, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    We moved them to the coop over the weekend...
    for the past 3 nights we will go and gather them up to put them in for the night (man thats a job!)... they act scared to death of the dark! but settle down after awhile. So about how long will it take before they will know they need walk into the coop for the night (and stay there)?

What time do you lock your chickens in their coop?

I post pics. of the coop and their 1st night in it on my blog... under Chickies 1st night in ThE ChIcKeN ShAcK. Need to upload and update on the ShAck... got it all done but the door needs to be put on and a few odds and ends. [​IMG]

2. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

It took my chicks about 2 nights to go in. Now, they go in at early dusk by themselves and I lock up once they're in.

A helpful hint that worked for me, if you have a few head chicks, just throw them inside first. My others always followed my roos so I caught them first. Saved me some time [​IMG]

3. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    I'll have to try that... cause I really hate chasing them down every night [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If you lock them in the coop for a few days with no access to the run, they'll get the idea and automatically go into the coop to roost at night.

5. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Oh.... Have to try that too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by