Moved the chicks into the coop!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by madzfulcher, Oct 27, 2011.

1. madzfulcher

madzfulcher New Egg

Oct 27, 2011
    Well, I moved chicks into the coop! They are 4 weeks, I have the heat lamp out there and they have plenty of room to get close or escape from the heat. I'm trying to not go check on them 30 times tonight! I have 10 Australorps, so they should eventually be cold hardy! Ugh, Its so hard to let go!

2. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Those first few nights your "babies" are in the coop are nerve wrecking for sure!!! [​IMG] for your sanity, and their safty.

Oh and [​IMG] from Oklahoma and [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  3. smkchick

smkchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Lawnguyland
    Quote:It was a little easier for me when they started escaping the brooder box and pooping everywhere![​IMG]

But I worry about them constantly. Especially with temps dropping.

4. gaviocks

gaviocks New Egg

Oct 19, 2011
    I moved my chicks on my their coop and I am happy watching them running in a huge place I was watching them and I imagine that they are playing in the park.

5. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Good for you! Mine will go out at 6 weeks ( about a week and 1/2 from now) I am nervous as this morning we have FROST !

6. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I moved my 4 week olds out to the coop yesterday, they are fully feathered and i did not give them heat in the coop as it was in the 50's here last night. They did well, i checked on them several times and they was'nt bundled up on top of each other so i know the temp was fine for them. This morning the were running around and playing when i went in the coop to let them out.

7. madzfulcher

madzfulcher New Egg

Oct 27, 2011
    Yes! I tried not to stess out last night. But it had to be done, they were getting out of the box and also were pecking at each other. They haven't fully feathered out yet, but I'm sure the cold will force them to. I'm going to keep the lamp in all winter because I live in Montama
    And we are suppose to have another cold one. It dropped down to 20 degrees last night! I am wondering if I should install extra insulation...

8. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    You don't need a heat lamp, and insulation will just end up being a mouse house full of mouse poo. They will be fine and actually feather quicker without the lamp. If you are concerned that it is too cold get a large cardboard box and lay it down, sweep some bedding into it so it is like a cave, when (if) they get in it to sleep, it will hold their natural body heat close. Right now they are depending on your care and the heat from the lamp. What are they gonna do if the power goes out? MAKE them get down by getting cold, I assure you they will not freeze to death, or even feel more than a little chilly.

Raise them tough, and they will be tough. Chickens are amazing creatures who are HIGHLY adaptable.

Just our opinion and how we raise our birds though...

Your adventure is just beginning!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by