moved the stink bombs to the coop at 1 week

blueskylen

Songster
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
WV
we just moved our 50 cornish x to the coop at 1 week old, because we just could not stand the smell in the house any longer.
we blocked off an area about 4 x 10 and put a thick layer of straw, 2 red heat lights, and plenty of food and water. i was nervous last night wondering if they would be warm enough, but this morning they were just as happy as clams - running and flapping around in their big new space. As they get bigger, we'll move the fence back to expand it more - it is about 18 x10 in all.

they have really grown fast in 1 week - they are actually outgrowing their down and have bare spots along with their feathers coming in. don't know their weight, but quite a difference when picking them up - real heft to them
they are still at a very cute age.

so far am very pleased with the Cornish.

It is funny how we worry, and they have survived hundreds of years lol. Good job.
smile.png

Quote:
They stink more, because they poop more. They poop more, because they eat more. They eat more, because they grow more.
lol.png

To answer your question, any slower growing chicken would smell better. The darlings of the slow-growing chickens on this board, seem to be the Colored Range Broilers (formerly Freedom Rangers) available from J.M. Hatchery (www.jmhatchery.com). But these will still be stinkier than your pure/heritage breeds, because they too grow fast, just less fast...
roll.png

Quote:
They stink more, because they poop more. They poop more, because they eat more. They eat more, because they grow more.
lol.png

To answer your question, any slower growing chicken would smell better. The darlings of the slow-growing chickens on this board, seem to be the Colored Range Broilers (formerly Freedom Rangers) available from J.M. Hatchery (www.jmhatchery.com). But these will still be stinkier than your pure/heritage breeds, because they too grow fast, just less fast...
roll.png

Owning nearly 100 of these "darlings",
wink.png
I will attest to the P.U. factor- the more they eat, the more they stink-period! Like the Cornish, there is some serious pooing going on. We have found Diatamaceous Earth used a few times a week, mixed in with the shavings, is a BIG help. Also, since we turn the Rangers out to graze all day long for the last several weeks, the stink factor has gone way down. I think that would be one of the biggest plusses to them over the Cornish- they are willing and able to run around outside and graze, as opposed to sitting next to the feeder all day and pooping. Downside is, they take a few weeks longer, so that is a few more weeks of stinky-ness to deal with!

Last edited:
stick your head in the feed bag and take a big whiff...yep. it's gonna stink.

mine don't stink hardly at all...even visitors (some from BYC!) have even commented. it's because i move them in a tractor every day and hose down the nasty area. i sprinkle lime before hosing to help balance the poop and it all comes out fine.

while i am spraying, it makes me sing a dumb song in my head though:

poop soup, poop soup
get off my legs and off my boots
poop soup, poop soup
bad for me and bad for you

yeah, i like my meat birds a little too much.
yippiechickie.gif

i kick mine out at 1 1/2 weeks with heat lamps. they'll be just fine. you only have 5-7 weeks until dinner! hang in there.

Back
Top Bottom