1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Movement before Lockdown but still no chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DavKarm, Mar 9, 2013.

1. DavKarm

DavKarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    We started lockdown on Wednesday.

They were all moving around inside their eggs before we did this.

However, I'm not hearing any peeping nor seeing any pips.

This is our 2nd try at incubating. The first time we didn't have any hatch - (they were all 1/2 dead in their eggs). I really strived for higher humidity this time around.

What are other possibilities of me doing wrong for the last 3 days?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If you locked down on Wednesday today is day 21? I wouldn't worry just yet. What was your temp and humidity during incubation and lockdown?

3. DavKarm

Apr 1, 2009
    During incubation - temp was at a constant of 99°F and the humidity hovered b/n 35-40%. We raised it to 60% once Lockdown began.

4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That's good. Did you candle the eggs during incubation and before lockdown to check progress?

5. DavKarm

Apr 1, 2009
    Yes - everything looked good on Day 18 - we could see chick movement before Lockdown. (We lost 2 eggs prior from blood rings and 2 that were unfertilized).

This is our 2nd try. The first time none of our eggs hatched and by Day 24 I was opening them up...fully developed, but never even pipped. So, that is why I am wondering what else we could be doing that is wrong.

6. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If a chick develops and dies just before hatching the possible causes are inadequate turning of the eggs during incubation, not enough ventilation in the incubator (open the vents, so the chicks can get enough fresh air), too high/low temperature during incubation or inadequate nutrition in the diet of in the breeding flock (that you got the eggs from).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by