Movement in the egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gatorridgechics, Mar 24, 2012.

1. gatorridgechics

gatorridgechics Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    Missouri
    Should I see movement in the egg? We are on day 18 fixing to start lockdown and I can see a dark shadow "move" when I move the egg, but it is not moving on its own. The eggs themselves are dark in color and are a mixed
    RR. Just not sure what is going on in there. I can see the air sac clearly. And one egg flops on the inside kinda like it has jelly in it. the rest just kinda float.

2. CrazyChickens09

CrazyChickens09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    Can you see any veining? If not it doesn't look good

3. gatorridgechics

Feb 29, 2012
    Missouri
    I think i can. Like I said though the shells are so dark the light hardley penetrates them. It's kinda like putting a light to your palm. it just lights up the hand but you cant see bones. The things that are keeping me going are..... 1. My bantam eggs that are in there I can see veins and the process has been the same with all 34 eggs. 2. I got these eggs from a friend who gives us eggs to eat all the time. And every time I cracked one to eat I would check for signs of fertility and every time found the tell tell donut ring.

4. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    Don't give up hope.... You never know.. It can be hard to tell with dark eggs.
    Also the bantam eggs may hatch a day or two earlier than the other eggs, so don't assume they failed to hatch without giving them a few extra days.

5. gatorridgechics

Feb 29, 2012
    Missouri
    I'm going to move ahead with lockdown. And just pray. The bantam's were put in 9 days after the RR's....but the only reason we snuck them in was we had checked on our young hen and she had started laying then stopped...then after a week of not setting and the temp going up and up for a weeks worth of warm days I decided to candle just to see. The eggs were not clear like they are on day one. I stuck them in on a whim and a wish and they seem to be doing just fine. Although I have no idea when they are due to peep. yikes!!

6. gatorridgechics

Feb 29, 2012
    Missouri
    Starting lockdown. I'm candeling one more time the "blobs" look so much larger than when we first started, so I have my fingers crossed. Here goes nothing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by