1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Movement

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dbc, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Dbc

Dbc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    I just candled my chicks! Its day 20 two are completetly blacked out! I can not see movement in those but they are completely black! The other two I can see movement but they are not quite blacked out , but they are moving so maybe tomorrow or sometime I will have 4 RIR chicks, HOW EXCITING!

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    From now on, do NOT open that incubator for any reason. You will let out the humidity and that can hamper their ability to hatch. Hands to yourself now, ya hear!?? A good idea is to go shopping (all day!) so you won't be tempted. haha

3. Dbc

Jun 3, 2011
    I did it too see one that I wasn't sure if he was alive! He/she was but they will be fine because they were all moving! But ok and I can't shop because I have school!

4. mrs b. bates farm

mrs b. bates farm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2011
    i opened my incubator several times do u think i,hurt them there is condensation on,my bator,glass so,im,pretty sure the,humidity is still,hi.. outta 12 eggs only 2 have pipped.. sorry for the , im on a touch screen phone..lol

5. Dbc

Jun 3, 2011
    I think that they should be fine last time I hatched chicks! I had some eggs that weren't hatching at the same time, so i hard to open it to turn them so I think they will be fine!

6. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Well, all I know is many of the experienced chicken hatchers on here have emphasized over and over NOT to open the bator once you get to day 18 (What they call Lock Down). You really need to get one of those thing-a-ma-jigs that tells you how much humidity is in there because, not only is low humidity bad but too much humidity can drown them! How many do you have now?

7. Dbc

Jun 3, 2011
    None have hatched so far! So I really don't know what to do!

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Be patient, I have had chicks hatch on day 23. The eggs need to loose a certain amount of moisture during incubation. If you initially incubate at a higher humidity then you can drown the chicks as the water accumulates in the air sack and when the chick pips the air sack it drowns. I used to incubate at around 50% humidity but have found if I keep my humidity down to around 35% during incubation and keep it around 75% during lockdown, I have a 90% to 100% hatch and no shrink wrapping even though I take the chicks with their shells out as they hatch. What works for me might not work for everyone. My last hatch was 100% and my hatch before that only one egg didn't hatch and the hatch before that one only 2 didn't hatch. You just have to experiment and see what works best for you. Also where you live also can make a difference as I live in a more humid part of the country and you may be in a dryer area which can also affect the incubation. I do keep my incubator in a room closed off. I didn't think that 100% hatches were possible but now I have had several I know they are. Good luck and keep the faith... [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  9. Dbc

Jun 3, 2011
    I just want some chicks'

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Also have you checked you thermometer against another one or maybe calibrated it? If the temperature is on the low side, the chicks can take a few extra hours to a couple of extra days to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by