Moving 15 miles away with 60 chickens (and 2 mamma hens)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FatChicksDigMe, Sep 13, 2016.

1. FatChicksDigMe

FatChicksDigMe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2015
    Hello guys,

I am finally getting ready to move soon on my acre lot I've been working on (so slowly) for 3 years! I've also already built the chickens a new bigger coop too over there, BUT the real problem will be moving them... We have around 60 chickens right now (5 of which are roosters) in addition to two mother hens with chicks (one is my Silkie and her silkie baby plus a mixed chick, and the other is an australorp with her single chick).

What do I do!? How would one go about getting all these birds in my car, let alone getting them into some kind of container. Only a handful are super tame, the others, well, aren't:(

Thank you in advance!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Maybe the best of all would be to wait until dark to gather them, haul them in the dark to their new digs, hand place them on the roosts of their new coop and let them wake up there the next morning. Catching, hauling, and transplanting won't be as traumatic for them in the dark. Not sure if you free range but I'd keep them cooped for a couple days so they don't run away and instead slowly get used to their new home. Good luck to you!!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Oh, and I'd move the chicks in their own container so they don't get stomped and then reunite once they are in their new home.

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Collect boxes or dog crates....Catch the broody and Chicks...Put Broody in a box alone or transport her with the Chicks...Get her and chicks settled into new coop first...Might take a few trips..Wine boxes that hold six bottles work great to haul a Chicken a short distance..Shavings on the bottom with a few holes pocked on the side..Happy Birds!

1 person likes this.
  5. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    I don't know if you'll be able to or not, but moving the roost poles that they're accustomed to might not hurt anything...a bit of familiarity might help their settlin' in. :) It doesn't have to be the night of the move but maybe the next day or so. Even some old litter scattered out...anything to give them a smell, sense, sight,...of "home". Any kind of diversions...heads of lettuce, watermelons, box of crickets, etc., to give them something to wile away the days of their "re-homing time".

Best wishes and congratulations on the move!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    Ed

6. FatChicksDigMe

May 9, 2015
    These are great ideas and sound advice! Thank you all very much:)

I'm wondering if anyone out here has first-hand experience with moving with chickens though...

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've moved with birds. We just box them up and put them in the bed of the truck.

You're only going 15 miles. That's not far at all, you can make multiple trips if you're hauling them in a car. I agree to wait until dusk. Pick them off the roost, put them in boxes/kennels/tubs/whatever you want to transport them in. Take them to the new coop, put them on the roost. Repeat until all birds are moved.

My birds aren't tame at all. I'm planning on caging up a bunch here soon for a sale, and I'm going to sort them into cages/kennels the night before. I'm not into chasing birds [​IMG].

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I've moved 10 birds, my first flock, in a large(42"L x 28"W x 30"H) wire dog crate.
    They were kenneled together and we just herded them into the crate, lifted it into the van and 40 miles later let them out into new coop.
    They hunkered down and were fine.

I also have moved other birds in dog crates, crated them at night and transported the next morning.

But with your situation, getting them off roosts at night, putting them in ventilated cardboard boxes,
    then taking them directly to the new place and putting them on the roosts there is the best bet.
    I've found using a headlight set on low gives me enough vision in dark without giving them enough light to move off.

You still might have to do some chasing down...grab bird firmly with both hands holding wings down.

Best of cLuck!

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    The best nabbing tool I've found is a nice big fishing net. I can drop it over the bird on the perch at night, and then grab their feet. I don't know what I ever did before I tried that net. It's ancient. When the netting finally rots out, I plan to re-string it.

10. FatChicksDigMe

May 9, 2015
    Thank you; I think that is what I'm going to do. Yeah, I'm not into chasing birds either... Chickens are fast (ESP Easter eggers).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by