Moving 3 week old chickens outdoors..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jtcarp6, Mar 17, 2015.

1. jtcarp6

jtcarp6 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2015
    Morgantown. WV.
    Help please.

Ok ladies and gents.. I have a 5x5 coop and it's about 6 feet tall. My chickens & ducks are about 3 weeks old. I'm wanting to move them outside with a heat lamp. The low temp is going to be 20-25 and the highs this week are going to be 40-50. I'm not looking to kill the little ladies. Do u guys think it possible to make the move to the coop with a heat lamp?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  2. newmarch2014

newmarch2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    EEk that seems a bit fast to me for outside since at week 3 they should be only at about 75 degreesish. I would say if you are doing this that you should first test the temp under the lamp in the middle of the night. How many total do you have? How far are they in feathering?

3. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Thats risky in my opinion!

4. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    It is still pretty cold where you live. If the heat lamp stopped working at night they would quite likely be gone by morning. Also how secure would the lamp be? It is very easy to start a fire in a coop. I would personally try to keep them in a bit longer.

5. jtcarp6

jtcarp6 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2015
    Morgantown. WV.
    6 chicken and two ducks. There about a quarter way feathered . I will deff test first.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If you have a high/low thermometer, and a second heat lamp, it would make it super easy for you to do an over night test. A lot of folks do all of their brooding outside, and think nothing of it. I find that even in my garage, using a tractor, that I struggle to keep good night time temps. Will be brooding outside in an old coop starting mid April with hatchlings. I'm toying with using a constant on Sunbeam heating pad instead of a heat lamp.

7. newmarch2014

newmarch2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    Though I would not be doing it if I were in your shoes I would agree with a 2nd lamp in case and a few checks of the temp through the night for a few nights to see if it maintains well first.

8. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I brood in wire bottom cages in those temps and only use regular 60 w house bulbs. I have never in my life put a thermometer in a brooder. I don't need to because I go by what the chicks tell me. I use 2 lights in each brooder cage in case I have bulb or fixture failure.

9. djh1982

djh1982 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2015
    Easley S.C.
    I agree with everyone.. Too cold out there for them. I moved mine out at 5 1/2 weeks old. Even then I was nervous. I set up a warm spot for them with the heat lamp which I have now done away with.. They are 7 weeks old now. I have 10 chicks. They have no problem cuddling to keep warm...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by