Moving 4 week old muscovies outside

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Gagroundhog, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Gagroundhog

Gagroundhog Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2013
    I moved the babies into the greenhouse today so they had a wonderful day in a protected and warm greenhouse but its not heated. We can put them in a small cage and put a blanket over them to keep them warm or bring them in at night.
    I'm not used to having ducklings. this time of year. I'm a little worried and don't want them to get sick.
    At what age can they begin to stay outside at night and be moved outside full time?

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
  3. Gagroundhog

Gagroundhog Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2013
    Oops I forgot to say that part! LOL
    Tonight its going to be 30 then tomorrow will go up to the mid 50s but be cloudy so the greenhouse won't warm up much. Rain on Sunday so cool that day as well then back to clear skies and days in the 50s and nights in the upper 20s.
    So we brought them in because they've never had cold temps before but after this coldfront goes through and the skies clear, the greenhouse will be warm during the day and I figure as they become acclimated I can open the door and both vents then eventually having them outside on nice days. I'm worried the most about night time. Will they be able to go out and stay out.
    It gets dark so early about 5:00 and light about 7:00 so about 14 hours dark and cold.
    Having never done this in winter, I'm nervous for them.
    They are probably closer to 5 weeks now. Hoping to post pics soon....I hope. LOL Technical difficulties!!
    Anyway, What do ya'll think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by