moving 7 week old chicks out

pbjmaker

Crowing
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Central Iowa
I have 9 chicks that are just over 7 weeks old living in my basement. They need more space and I need less smell in the house. My question is - I made them a bigger brooder in the unheated garage out of a cardboard watermelon box. So far the temp in there is up to 55 degrees using a 250 watt red heat lamp. Do you think they will be OK moving from my basement to that? They have had no heat in the basement since they were like 3 weeks old and it is probably 65 down here.

There are three d'uccle roos, 5 silkies and a frizzle cochin that I was going to move.

Sure, do what they say. If they are acclimated, good to go. If they are cold, adjust.

I brood outside, and let them free range at about 3 weeks old or so, when the out door temps were in the upper 30's low 40's. They did spend most their time in the brooder coop though since it was so chilly.

I dinked around with the box and put an old door over part of it - now that section is already in the mid 60's - so I think we will be good to go. I just worry about the weather around here being so unstable. Today it's 50 out - tomorrow it's supposed to be 28 for a high. I'll just keep a close eye on the temp in the box over the next week.

Back
Top Bottom