Moving 8 week old outside-- start introducing to adult girls??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chocobroc, May 6, 2011.

1. Chocobroc

Chocobroc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    My babies turned 8 weeks old this week and I was wondering if would be a good time to move them outside. I was thinking of moving their brooder outside and up against the big girls run so they could see each other. There is still a considerable size difference, so I'm wondering when it is the best time to merge them together??

Also, they haven't had their brooder light on for some time now because they don't need it in my garage. I know its warm enough during the day outside but would they need the light outside at night? I think its been getting down to the high 40s at night...

Look forward to your responses!!

2. Silkie horsechick

Silkie horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Northwest Pennsylvania
    I just got a 3 -month-old and took a couple of days of temporary intros to the rest of the coop.
    Left her out there tonight.
    Hope she is not too cold.
    Was inside, no light, small area.

Everyone seemed to be ignoring her when I left.
    Turned the light off.

the first couple times all had a look at her.
    couple pecked.
    Roo tried to get a response, but she played dumb.

I think she will be fine.

Should I worry about being too cold.

She is a silkie and has good set of "feathers" going.

3. MelB

MelB Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2010
    I heard not to introduce them before 3mos/12 weeks (due to size); I just picked up 4 new chicks today (roughly 3-6 weeks old each); I plan to let them co-habitate in couple weeks with chicken wire barrier between them; probably won't let them with older hens until they're about 16-17 weeks old.

4. Chocobroc

Chocobroc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    Ok, so maybe I'll wait a couple more weeks then bring the whole brooder outside. I think putting the brooder up against the run for a week or so it will give them time to get use to each other. I'll bring them out to play once in a while and see how they do before I merge them permanently. Waiting a couple more weeks will also ensure that it is warm enough at night for them.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by