Moving a boody and her babies???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by scoopy82, Sep 29, 2011.

1. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    One of my broody hens chicks have hatched and I am wondering if I can now move her to somewhere with a bit more space? I let her sit on her eggs in the nesting box she chose and didn't want to move her beforehand incase she cracked it and stopped sitting, but now they have hatched she could use some more room (the nesting box has a little extended area at the front of it, but its not really big enough for all of them) so does anyone think it would be okay to move her now without upsetting her apple cart? Is she likely to not want to mother the chicks if it upsets her too much? I have a brooder I can use just incase she does get too upset, and I dont even think she will but just wanted to know what the chances of her deciding she doesn't want them anymore if I move her?

2. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    Never mind replying, i moved her and despite amost losing a few fingers - all is well, mamma has a huge new secure area and both her and babies are happy - which makes me very happy!

3. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Let momma hen settle down in the new area and she'll do the rest as she'll take care of her babies

4. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    ha ha 'loosing a few fingers" know what you mean, I just moved my hen last night...I thought we were friends! She only connected a few times but I think it went to the bone....putting the chicks in with her I made sure they were in her face, that proved she absolutely knew where she was aiming! Maybe somebody knows how many days does it normally take for her to call that new area home and I can let her out again?? I'm thinking 3...I wanted the chicks to go to the large coop at night before she taught them to roost in trees..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by