Moving a broody hen and her egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JeannieWish, Aug 28, 2016.

1. JeannieWish

JeannieWish Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2013
    Co Mayo. Ireland
    Hi
    We have a lovely silkie Mammy and a 7 week old chick. we left them in a part of the coop that is sectioned off by chicken wire. Everything was just like clockwork and Mammy and chick are grand. Yesterday was their first time outside and again it was just lovely.
    My question is this, we have a broody maran who has been sitting on an egg for about 7 days. We want to move her and her egg to the isolated part of the coop behind the chicken wire. Is it ok to do this or should we leave her were she is

Thank you

2. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I moved my broody a few weeks ago as she was in with all the other hens, and on a nest that was quite high up. I moved her late one evening. She was unsettled for about 5 minutes and then went about sitting on her eggs as normal. I know others on here have mentioned the broody trying to returning to the original nest and at times they stop sitting when you move them. I suppose it's unpredictable and you won't know until you try.

3. JeannieWish

Aug 18, 2013
    Co Mayo. Ireland
    [​IMG]

4. JeannieWish

Aug 18, 2013
    Co Mayo. Ireland
    Thanks Marlene, we've moved her tonight, no trouble at all xxx

5. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps