Moving a broody hen and her eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dixiegal62, Apr 5, 2012.

1. dixiegal62

dixiegal62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Arab Alabama
    This will be my first try at moving one while she is on eggs. Besides waiting until roosting time is there anything else I should do? I want to move her into our new pens.

2. Hazelrah

Hazelrah Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    Oregon
    I tried 3 times to move a broody and failed each time. I think I now know what I did wrong. I moved her to a small covered area within the main run where I kept storage etc, made her a nice sheltered nest and even placed chicken wire around to keep the others out and her in. They could all still see one another and somehow she kept finding ways to escape. Each escape she would go back to sitting on new eggs in one of the egg boxes where they all lay. If I ever have to do it again I will move her completely out of the main coop/run to a little brooding coop of her own where she is more isolated from the others.

3. dixiegal62

dixiegal62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Arab Alabama
    This one gave up before I ever got a chance to move her. All the hens started laying in with her and I think she got overwhelmed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by