Moving a broody hen, WWYD?

soloequestrian

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2019
I have a broody sitting on fertile eggs in a nest box in a coop that's up on legs. My plan was to leave her there and just section off part of the coop when it gets near to hatching day, then move her to a lower coop once the hatch has happened.
I've ended up getting the lower coop earlier than expected so am considering moving her to it now. She's been sitting on the eggs for four days.
Pros of staying where she is - she is very settled. Cons - the other hens could attempt to lay in her nest box though I don't think any have tried yet; building the section barrier could be stressful for her.
Pros of moving - no access for the other hens, possibly slightly safer from predators, no need to handle chicks once they've hatched. Cons - she might not sit back on the eggs.
What would you do??

Some move easily, most don't like it. I personally haven't had luck successfully moving a broody. You can leave her be if you mark her eggs and check and remove any added ones on a regular basis so you don't end up with a staggered hatch. Sometimes other hens will break a broodys eggs though.

Hopefully those more successful at moving a broody will chime in.

I have a broody sitting on fertile eggs in a nest box in a coop that's up on legs. My plan was to leave her there and just section off part of the coop when it gets near to hatching day, then move her to a lower coop once the hatch has happened.
I've ended up getting the lower coop earlier than expected so am considering moving her to it now. She's been sitting on the eggs for four days.
Pros of staying where she is - she is very settled. Cons - the other hens could attempt to lay in her nest box though I don't think any have tried yet; building the section barrier could be stressful for her.
Pros of moving - no access for the other hens, possibly slightly safer from predators, no need to handle chicks once they've hatched. Cons - she might not sit back on the eggs.
What would you do??
I am in the same situation. What did you end up doing? I have a broody hen that will not be deterred. I tried last year and it took a lot of work and constant attention to do it. This year, I am giving her fertilized eggs. I am building her new temporary coop today and tomorrow, and will have the eggs on Monday. I don't think it will break her given how determined she is, but will move her tomorrow night with the unfertilized eggs she is sitting on now and hope for the best. If she stays on them, I will swap the unfertilized out with the fertilized on Monday or Tuesday, depending on how late they arrive. If after the move she doesn't sit on the eggs, I will move her right back in the original coop and hope she goes back into the nesting box looking for her eggs and will have to just leave her there. My concern in leaving her is the height of the main coop, the safety of the chicks with the other three hens, and the fact that I have to remove my broody every two days to poop and eat because she is not getting up on her own.... the only way I can remove her is through the back of the nesting box, and eggs will tumble out with her.

I've left her where she is but she has the fertilised eggs and she does get herself up. If I'd had the lower coop before the eggs I would have shut her in there with some 'dummy' eggs. I'm planning to wait until the eggs have hatched and then move everyone to the low coop - will put up some chick barriers to stop them falling out of the high one on their first day!

Back
Top Bottom