Moving a broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewToFarming, Nov 7, 2010.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Has anyone been successful in doing this? My silkie hen is broody but she chose to be broody in an area in the coop where alot of the other hens like to go lay to just chill out during the day. Needless to say, there is alot of bickering going on! [​IMG] I tried to move her this morning to one of the covered kitty litter pans on the other side of the coop where it would be safer for her and less stressful but she freaked and didn't want any parts of it. Do you think it might go better if I try this at night or if you have any other suggestions, that would be great!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  2. Lil_Miss_Farmer_Chick

Lil_Miss_Farmer_Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Kalkaska, Michigan
    I had the same problem with our silkie girl, we waited till dark and put her and the eggs in, my husband held the flashlight and I made the switch, worked well for us and she seems happy in her new broody box. Good Luck, I hope it works for you as well, nothings more exciting than a mama with her baby chicks. [​IMG]

3. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Great! Thank you! [​IMG] I will give this a try tonight. It is her first time broody with me and she has shown to be a little spitfire, that's for sure! Even to the Orp girls! LOL

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep. My first time broody (a pure Ameraucana) was getting beat up on the nest. When I determined she was broody, I waited 3 days to move her. I moved her around dusk, and let her settle back down on fake eggs. I waited until the next day to give her eggs to be sure she would continue sitting. I gave her 9, she kicked one out about 10 days into incubation (it was infertile), and she hatched all of the remaining eggs. The "babies" are now 6 weeks old.

5. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    I always move the broody. I enclose her in a box in a separate pen, ( she is in absolute darkness) during one nigth and the following day. Then, I open the box. Never fails.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  6. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thanks for all the suggestions!
    I did move her last night and she didn't fuss at all! She was still setting on the eggs this morning where I had put her so I think she is going to stay!!
    It wasn't a good place for her where she was so I am glad she is cooperating! [​IMG] I do keep her in the same coop as the others but in a corner of the coop that is more quiet and less stressful. I had another hen broody recently and keeping her in the coop but kind of secluded really helped with the introductions of the chicks. I had alot of teenage pullets at the time and this really helped with getting them used to having the youngsters around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by