Moving a Broody? - update 4/6

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by azelgin, Apr 2, 2009.

1. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    OK, I just finished incubating 18 chicks and now one of my big ol' Wyandottes decides to go broody. I need to move her from the nest she has confiscated, to another area that I have cordoned off for this sort of thing. She just started setting today. should i go ahead and move her during the day, so, I can keep an eye on her in case she decides to bail out of her commitment, or, should I move her at night and hope she doesn't notice the new location in the morning?[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd try early in the morning before first light and then watch her.

3. azelgin

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:Sound like a good idea. I usually get up late. When does the sun come up around here?[​IMG]

4. Mahonri

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You are funny...

First light here at present is about 5:45.... so you'd want to do it an hour before that!!!

Perhaps an alarm would be in order!... with a head lamp.

5. azelgin

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Actually, Bob usually gives me a heads up sometime before daylight arrives. His snooze button is also out of reach from the bed. He's serving time in rooster jail, about 30' from my bedroom window.

[​IMG]

6. Mahonri

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Bob, looks BIG!

What is he?

7. azelgin

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    He's a BO. Friendly to people, but the hens hate him. Too much running and screaming when he gets out to play.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You could try moving her after dark instead of early AM. Put a couple of golf balls or plastic eggs or something similar under her, and see what she does for a day or two. Then try the chicks. Or that's what I would try.

9. azelgin

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:Thanks. I don't need to give her the new chicks. They have a home to go too, with a neighbor down the road. I was going to go ahead and let her hatch out what she has. I estimate she is hording about 8 eggs. That's about how many we were short from the usual quota today. I just wanted to have the best chance for her to stay on the nest, after I move her. The new spot for her is only about ten feet from where she is now, but it is wired off from the rest of the coop, so she wont have to put up with the other hens wanting the nest.

10. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I [​IMG] your alarm clock! My coop is on the other side of the house from my bedroom, so I can't hear my roosters. Which is nice. I already get up at 5AM and they are crowing steadily when I do. Heaven knows what time they start!

I would move her at night too, just after dark.

Best of luck! Tell us how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by