Moving a hen with chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by becsmenagerie, Dec 13, 2014.

1. becsmenagerie

becsmenagerie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi, I have a RIR with two little chicks that is in the wrong place and needs to be moved. A little background, she was broody for a few weeks so I bought her some chicks and slipped them under her last night. They are all looking pretty cozy this morning and she isn't looking aggressive to them. The problem is that she is in the flock's favourite nesting box (didn't really think that through) I have blocked it off from the other girls for now, and I have set up a separate nice area for her and the chicks.

When can I move them without freaking her out? Is she likely to attack the chicks if I do? It's my first time having chicks, Tia :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Unless she's an exception to the rule, she will get a little freaked out. The best thing to do is make sure your new area is all set up and ready to go. Move them at night if possible. Take the two chicks and gently pick them up and slowly move them to their new area. Talk to your mama hen and tell her it's okay...if she puts up a real fuss don't give up! Just keep slowly moving them on over. Trust me, the mama hen will be right on your tail! Get them settled in...you might stick around awhile and make sure everything is calmed down. You might also wear a long-sleeved shirt and soft gloves...just in case!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd give it a day or two before moving her, if possible. She's programmed to stay on the nest for another day or so after the first chick appears, to allow any further eggs to hatch. She doesn't know she doesn't have more eggs under her, so may be quite upset if you move her. She'll come off the nest on her own shortly, and at that time I'd say you can relocate her.....or not, my hens don't usually keep bringing the chicks back to the same nest, they set up another spot to hang with the babies. So it may be a moot point, she may not want to go back to that box anyway.

4. becsmenagerie

becsmenagerie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks for the replies! The moving went well, she seems to be happy in her new diggs. Sad news is when I went to move her one chick was dead :-( it was always a bit smaller than the other so maybe just too weak. Hopefully won't be too much of a problem later when it comes to integrating this little one into the flock on her own. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by