Moving a Pasture Pen

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by danschicks, Nov 11, 2010.

1. danschicks

danschicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    Virginia
    I used 3 pieces of scrap wood, 4 bolts, a few screws, and 2 sets of old training wheel tires.

[​IMG]

The little car can be put under any of the four sides of the pen. It lifts the side just high enough to clear the grass and keep chickens and turkeys in. This pen is 8X10X3.

[​IMG]

I have heavy ropes attached to all four sides. It is very easy to grab the rope on the opposite side and pull the pen to its new position. It takes about 30 seconds for the whole process of moving a pen.

[​IMG]

2. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    [​IMG] Nifty.

Now where did I put all those old pairs of training wheels? [​IMG]

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    That is a great idea!! [​IMG] Would love to see a pic of you whole tractor! Been trying to get ideas for the spring!!

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I like your idea. This might just be the way to retrofit my non-wheeled tractors without having to take the birds out first to do it. Thanks for the photo!

5. schmism

schmism Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    Peoria IL
    I bent up an almost identical wheeled skid thing-a-bob that salatin uses.. it goes in the back. the cage height is just right for me to lift the wire and drag... i have a rope for the DW who is shorter.

6. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    I use an upright frieght dolley.

Stick it under the end you want to raise, put a block of wood between the handles and the pen. Presto-change o one end off the ground.

7. duckfat

duckfat Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    Michigan
    I'm lazy. I use this:

[​IMG]

8. Stefrobrts

Stefrobrts Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    I love seeing solutions that are brilliant and dead simple! And you only need one set for all your pens. I think you just saved me a LOT of work!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by