Moving a Roof??

hokankai

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2010
SW WA
So we begin construction of our chicken coop tomorrow (hooray!) and we are building it into the house we will soon be moving into. There is a dog run that was built that has a shingled roof which is the perfect dimensions to put on our coop...but how are we supposed to move it?! Is there a way to transport a roof without ripping it apart? I'd hate to see such a good roof go to waste...and it's not in the right place for a coop (right next to the house). Any ideas?!

What type of roof? gambrel, shed, peaked? if not too tall, you could transport a gambrel or peaked roof on its side (by "side" I mean where the shingles lie perpendicular to the trailer rather than on it) on a trailer and tie it down well. Shed roof would lie flat, of course. Does the roof have trusses, or is it a ridgepole type? So much depends on the shape of the roof!

Last edited:
oh boy...i have no idea! i'll have to take a picture of it but it just looks like a roof to me. it's longer on one side than the other so there's an overhang, but there are no trusses. no rafters, just screwed onto an 8x6 frame which is bolted to metal posts in concrete. you can get the roof off of the frame easily...but getting it off and back up on our coop is going to be tricky! ugh

Sounds like you have a modified shed roof. When your supports are in place at the new location, back a flatbed truck up to the old location, slide it off onto the truck, then back up to your new structure and slide it onto the supports. We've moved porches that way. Takes a bit of sweat but lots easier than getting the roof off the ground.

Back
Top Bottom