1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moving across country.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BethanyA, Jan 16, 2014.

1. BethanyA

BethanyA New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    I have 8 chickens in one flock and 4 in another. Their ages range from 1yr to 7yrs old. They all need to be moved from Oregon to New Hampshire. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I didn't move quite that far, but I did just move my small flock of 5 500+ miles. I moved them in a hutch my DH built, I'm not sure exactly how big it is, probably 2ft w x 4ft l x 2ft t. No super big, but they weren't packed in like sardines. I bought a hanging rabbit feeder to hold their feed and a water bottle so they would have water. We moves them in a horse trailer to keep the wind off them. Anyway, they did fine. The rooster was crowing everytime we'd stop, which caused lots of people to look at the horse trailer funny.
    You'll need something larger, LR maybe 2 large hutches or dog crates to move them in. If your chickens don't know how to use a rabbit water bottle, you'll probably want to put it in a week or so before you plan to move so they know what it is.
    I didn't have to refill their food or water. In fact, the water bottle was only about 1/2 empty and they still had food. My husband hard truck trouble as well, so they went way over my 10 hour drive. I think they were in the hutch nearly 24 hours, I can't remember exactly how long. I've kind of tried to forget the whole thing.

Good luck to you, and I hope you get moved safely!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by