1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moving air sac?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yotetrapper, May 30, 2008.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    When I candled last night, one egg scared me lol because when I was rolling it to see what was in it, the air sac moved!! What does THAT mean?

2. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    what day are you on ?

3. Hi! If it was an egg that had been shipped, that means the air cell got knocked out of whack during shipping.
    Did it just shift a little but stay in the big end, or move freely when you turn the egg upside down?
    I've never had any luck getting eggs with wobbly air cells to hatch, but I've read that other folks have.
    Good luck!
    Lisa

4. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    I just candled my silkie eggs...Day 7. They are shipped eggs and a couple have loose air cells that move around the larger end of the egg. I didnt want to tip too much too see if it rolled all the way around the whole egg because I have veins in them. Will they develop?

A couple eggs also seem to have the air cell firmly in place but it is set oddly, like at the top a little bit as well as down the side some too. Are my eggies doomed?? [​IMG]

5. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Yeah Im still wondering on this one too. A lot of the air sacs on those eggs are irregular shaped, but they DO have chcicks growing in them. Will they not hatch?

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Sometimes chicks will hatching with irregular air sacs, providing that they are intact, other chicks will not hatch with irregular air sacs. Good Luck.

7. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    Quote:I had some with irregular air sacs hatch just fine. Good luck!

8. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    My Silkies that were from ebay, have floating air sacs and they seem to be growing (well 3 out of 12). Today we're on day 7 we'll see![​IMG]

9. newbiecaroline

newbiecaroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
    Hi, wouldn't placing these eggs in a carton with the air sac at top help eventually?

10. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Mine have been in the egg carton since I got them. It's been a week now so I don't know if it will help, but I plan to leave them in there for the hatching. I guess it's a wait and see deal. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by