Moving air sacs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gracie697, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Gracie697

Gracie697 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2010
    I just recieved my order of cochin eggs, but when I candled them I noticed the air sac in just about all of them moves when I turn the egg...I'm pretty sure that's not good?

2. 9 Feathers Farm

9 Feathers Farm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    St Johns, MI
    Still go ahead and put them in the incubator. I had a couple shippments of eggs with detached air cells and the chicks still managed to develop and hatch. Good luck!

3. Gracie697

Mar 25, 2010
    Oh good, that makes me happy! Thank you!

4. theturtlepond

theturtlepond Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    I had the same question and some one suggested that I set the egg small end down so that the air is where it should be when they hatch.

5. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Always set the small end down, large end up in your egg tray in the bator. If you're hand turning, well you'll just get what you get. The air cell needs to be on the top (wide end) for the chick to develope and hatch properly. Good luck, hatching out is always more fun then just ordering chicks. [​IMG]

6. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I am incubating a batch of shipped eggs with detatched air cells too. I am on day 15 now. I was advised to hatch them in cartons as this will keep the cells where they are supposed to be. Mine look to have mostly stablised now though. Good luck!

7. UGAchick

UGAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Athens, GA
    I have had mixed luck with detached air cells. Some hatched while others did not, but I definitely think it is worth a try!

8. Gracie697

Mar 25, 2010
    I've always had the wide side up, and I'm using an automatic egg turner so it shouldnt be a problem from the sounds of it. [​IMG] thanks guys

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by