Moving an egg...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TamiHunter, Oct 19, 2009.

1. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    One of my Silkie chickens laid it's first egg today!! She laid it outside the coop/hen house. I need to know if I move the egg into the nesting box, will she still sit on it? I want her to become broody so I can sell the baby chicks. As you can probably tell i'm quite new at this so any kind of info will help.
    Thanks a bunch!!!

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

You can't make a chicken go broody. They will do that on their own. You probably wouldn't want the first eggs anyway as they usually don't hatch out well. Give your little girl some time. If she wants to go broody, she will sit tight in the nest all day, only coming out to eat and drink for about half an hour. If she just laid her first egg, you might have her go broody this next spring. If you want to sell chicks, then you might want to think about a small incubator to help the process. Not all hens become good broody mothers. Out of about 75 hens that we have we only have about 3 good broody mothers.
    Oh and Congratulations on you first egg:cd:ya:ya

3. TamiHunter

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    Thank you so much for the info!! I wasn't sure and am still learning all there is to know about my girls. What should we do with the egg? Can we eat it seeing as it's her first?

4. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Quote:You can defiantly eat it, it will be one of the best you have ever had! [​IMG]

5. TamiHunter

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    Ok then, I think i'll make my hubby eat the first one!

6. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Yum! Eat that egg! It's fine to eat and no worries. You'll only ever have one VERY first egg!

7. ThePamperedPullet

Our first egg out of our first two girls we took and blew them out and have them on display.

8. TamiHunter

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    Not a bad idea!!! How do you "blow them out?" I would love to keep the first one. It would mean alot to me seeing as this is my first flock!! I have never owned a chicken in my life till now.

9. ThePamperedPullet

Take a small needle and pierce both ends of the egg. Wiggle the needle around inside the egg to scramble the yolk. Then just gently blow on one end and all the innards should start coming out. As you get some out run some water back into the shell to thin out the innards. Keep working at it until it is pretty much cleaned out and then just let it dry. Small eggs are obviously harder to do than the large eggs because you can't put as big of hole in them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by