Moving babies outside..I think??

Gerty0630

Songster
Jan 15, 2019
SE, Michigan
I am new to raising chickens. I have my first batch of 12 chicks who are now 6 weeks old and I want to get them outside and get all this darn dust out of my house! It is solidly in the 60s during the days now where I live however through this weekend it’s supposed to be 35 degrees at night. Can the 6 week old chicks handle this outside at night in their coop??

I am new to raising chickens. I have my first batch of 12 chicks who are now 6 weeks old and I want to get them outside and get all this darn dust out of my house! It is solidly in the 60s during the days now where I live however through this weekend it’s supposed to be 35 degrees at night. Can the 6 week old chicks handle this outside at night in their coop??
They should be fine.
Mine have been out in the grow out coop from 2 weeks.
I run an extension cord out there to a heat plate for them.
It’s really easy to brood them that way and they feather out faster.

I would put a heat lamp out there at night just in case.

At six weeks old they should be fully feathered (?)
Also, at six weeks old, if they had been hatched by a hen they would no longer be relying on her to keep them warm and probably be fully independent.
If they are cold at this age they will huddle together.
Unfortunately with a broody coop set up and confined chicks the transition from a warm sheltered environment to the outside world where temperatures are just above freezing can be a bit of a shock.
I wouldn't continue with any additional heat source unless the temperatures drop below freezing.
What I would do is provide shelters. This could be anything from a large pile of straw in a box to a two sided wind break.
If you watch the chicks you will be able to see if they are comfortable outside by their behavior.

At six weeks old they should be fully feathered (?)
Also, at six weeks old, if they had been hatched by a hen they would no longer be relying on her to keep them warm and probably be fully independent.
If they are cold at this age they will huddle together.
Unfortunately with a broody coop set up and confined chicks the transition from a warm sheltered environment to the outside world where temperatures are just above freezing can be a bit of a shock.
I wouldn't continue with any additional heat source unless the temperatures drop below freezing.
What I would do is provide shelters. This could be anything from a large pile of straw in a box to a two sided wind break.
If you watch the chicks you will be able to see if they are comfortable outside by their behavior.
They were not hatched by a hen. They have been inside my house for the past 6 weeks. They do have a coop outside but the problem is really it’s fully enclosed so I cannot see them huddle or shiver unless I go out there and open the door and by that time they’re running around. All things considered I will still move them out there this weekend but provide them with lots of straw for insulation and a radiant heat panel.

They were not hatched by a hen. They have been inside my house for the past 6 weeks. They do have a coop outside but the problem is really it’s fully enclosed so I cannot see them huddle or shiver unless I go out there and open the door and by that time they’re running around. All things considered I will still move them out there this weekend but provide them with lots of straw for insulation and a radiant heat panel.
I understood they were not hatched by a hen;). Is there a secure run attached to your coop.
Where you've written 'outside' in your original post I had assumed you meant in a run rather than in a coop. They will be fine in a coop; they would also be fine in a run imo.:)

I understood they were not hatched by a hen;). Is there a secure run attached to your coop.
Where you've written 'outside' in your original post I had assumed you meant in a run rather than in a coop. They will be fine in a coop; they would also be fine in a run imo.:)
Oh I’m sorry haha. Yes there is an attached run to the coop :) thank you!

Back
Top Bottom