Moving babies outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Battery Gal, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Battery Gal

Battery Gal New Egg

Sep 27, 2016
    I have 4 four week old Americaunas/EEs. I also have 4 seven month hens. It is about 40 degrees for a low and 70 for highs. Can someone tell me if it is too cold to move the babies outside and how long do I need to keep them apart from the larger hens.

Thanx in advance for any help I can get.[​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They can go out now, provided you have a separate setup for the young ones to keep them safe. Introductions need to be done gradually. Living in separate areas, but close enough to get used to each other works best. After a few weeks, you can start letting the little ones into the adult pen. Multiple feed and water stations help to defuse territorial tension. And you need a whole lot of space.

1 person likes this.
  3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    At four weeks, chicks are pretty much finished with needing any extra heat. Just make sure they aren't subjected to cold drafts. Letting them get used to outdoor temps by exposing them to day trips out to the run would be a prudent first step, though. Gradual change, rather than abrupt change, is always good practice when it comes to chickens of any age.

The panic room method also makes it much easier on the chicks when integrating with the adult flock. It involves a safe space in the run with chick-size openings where only the chicks can fit and the adults aren't able to follow. Take a look at my article linked below this post on outdoor brooding to see how this works.

This safe refuge allows for chicks as young as two or three weeks to safely mingle with adult chickens, and all who've used it report their chicks integrated safely and easily. The most critical factor in integration of much smaller chicks is having their food and water in a safe place so they aren't chased away by older birds. It can deprive them of both needed nourishment and self confidence otherwise.

If you rig a panic room enclosure, after a week of observing the adult flock, chicks can then be allowed to mingle. This is ideally the precursor to moving into the coop with the adults since it establishes a "game plan" for the chicks for daytime. They will know where safety is and hurry to their panic room when morning comes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by