Moving Babies Outside

Discussion in 'Quail' started by p.james, Jul 29, 2010.

1. p.james

p.james Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    MS
    Living In Mississippi With Daytime Temps Running 90 + And Nighttime Dropping To 75 +

Question Is, Would It Be Too Soon To Move 2 Week Old Coturnix To Much Needed Larger Outside Wire Cage?

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Are They Completely Feathered Out? If So They May Tolerate It But A Heat Source At Night Would Be A Good Idea

3. p.james

Apr 3, 2010
    MS
    they appear completely feathered but i suppose it would not hurt to run the lamp out there for a few days just in case. thanks for the input.

4. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    p.james :

they appear completely feathered but i suppose it would not hurt to run the lamp out there for a few days just in case. thanks for the input.

JJ is right, neighbor..............even though "we" are in the "dog-days-sauna" era, it wouldn't hurt to put a heat lamp at one end of your brooder (not knowing how big it is) so they can get their survival comfort even though the lows are in the soggy 70's. I'm about to put another 120 GG Bob eggs in the bator, and I'm gonna try brooding them outside in the carport instead of the (inside) utility room of the house. I think the 3rd/4th week of a Missippy August will let me keep them outside long enough for the big-bird pen transition before the cool teasers kick in.....................but, they will have a heat-zone with a thermostat to go to if they need it..............We'll see!!!!​

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  5. p.james

Apr 3, 2010
    MS
    Thanks Randall, I think I am going to go ahead and put them in the raised wire pen outside. I can put a light on the top of the cage on one end and they will still have plenty of room to move around to get clear of it if they need to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by