Moving baby chicks!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nhchickmom, May 11, 2009.

1. nhchickmom

nhchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Thornton, NH
    I am wondering if the chicks can go out in the garden shed when they are two weeks old. The shed is not heated, but would be closed completely so no drafts. They would be in a wire chicken cage with a 120 watt heat lamp. Day time temp would be about 70 and evening would be about 45 without the use of a heat lamp. I would plan to use a heat lamp though 24/7. Would they be ok?

Thanks

2. The Poultry Peanut

The Poultry Peanut lives under rock

That sounds good to me. Just make sure they have heat [​IMG]

3. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    I don't see why they wouldn't be okay, assuming you stick a heat lamp in there at night.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It should work if the shed has ventilation and if you have a way to monitor them so they don't get too hot mid day or too cold at night. Also, they should have some daylight if you have to turn the heat lamp off when it is warm outside.

5. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Dont forget that your shed will get hoter during the day then it will be outside. My shed is steaming when we walk inside it during the day. Makes your face moist. Its much like a parked car in the sun with the windows all rolled up.

6. nhchickmom

nhchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Thornton, NH
    Thanks all. I will let you know how it goes. Our shed has ventilation and is in the shade so I am not worried about it getting to hot, though I will monitor that, my main concern is chilly nights, but I will always use the heat lamp. How long do you think they need to separate from the rest of the flock like this. I have read that by 4-6 weeks, assuming the temperature is not too cold that they can go out in the coop. Does this sound right?

7. chickgirl17

chickgirl17 New Egg

Mar 23, 2009
    sounds good just make sure they are warm enough if they are huddiling together that means they are too cold if they are laying down and spreading out there wings that means they are too cold
    good luck with the chickens:D[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by