Moving baby outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blatham00, Mar 21, 2017.

1. blatham00

blatham00 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2017
    NC
    I have a chick that was recently orphaned. It will be 6 weeks old Thursday. Its mama was killed last week whole they were out free ranging. I brought the baby inside temporarily to recover from the trauma of losing its mother. It has done well inside but I can tell it would be happier back in its brooder outside. Is it safe to put her back outside? I worry about the temps. The lows for the next few nights are in the 30s. Should I wait til it's warmer to move back outside? I'd rather not put a heat lamp if possible. They make me nervous. Also if anyone knows if this is a pullet or cockerel? I've been callin it a she but I'm still a newbie when it comes to all this. Thanks in advance for any tips and advice.[​IMG]

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm guessing it's a pullet. Do you have other birds? If so, you might simply integrate her into the rest of your flock. It will be a bit difficult as she'll be a single chick integrating without Mama or siblings. But better to integrate her at this age than wait till she's older. She doesn't need any heat at 6 weeks old. Check out Azygous panic room set up.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. blatham00

Jan 18, 2017
    NC

Yes I have one hen and one rooster. My flock has dwindled down due to predictor issues. Working hard to get that resolved. She has been around my flock with her mother. The roo has somewhat accepted her but now that I separated her I figured she'd need to stay in the brooder a few days so he could see her before trying a reintroduction. I plan to get more pullets in the near future that's why I'm trying to get her outside and free up my inside brooder. Thanks so much for the advice. And I'm so glad to hear you think she is a pullet also.

4. blatham00

Jan 18, 2017
    NC

Checked out the panic room advice. Love it. My brooder has an enclosure on the bottom I used to let babies get on the ground while being protected. I think I'll make a small door at the bottom for her to escape to if needed when I let her into the big run. My big coop and brooder both go into my big run. My run is a 10x20 inclosure. Hoping to expand in the near future. I let them out daily to free range but after my mama hen was killed last week in broad daylight I've been keeping them in when I can't be out to watch. I have no idea what got my mama bird. It's been a mystery to us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by