Moving Baby Silkie

c0dywhite

Songster
9 Years
Dec 29, 2012
Organ Cave, WV
I hatched a silkie this morning & I was wondering if I could leave it in the incubator until tomorrow?
Im going to put him/her in with my baby ducks that I bought a couple days ago.

Hmm... I am thinking that a chick, especially a silkie, may be too delicate to raise with ducks without some barrier between them. Ducks like to nibble on everything, I might worry about a chick with them. Ducks also make the brooder pretty wet, so I would worry about the chick staying warm an dry enough.

If your incubator is not too hot, then it could stay in there until tomorrow. But if you see the chick panting then you probably want to take it out and put it in a brooder.

Last edited:
I think it is good to keep newly hatched chicks in the incubator until they are completely dry. They can stay in there for 72 hours,and if you have others pipped or zipping, don't open the incubator as it can shrink wrap the ones trying to hatch. They can live 72 hours without food and water as they are absorbing the yolk.

I have not raised ducks, but silkie babies are so tiny, I would be hesitant to put them together. If you do, watch them closely for a good long while to make sure the silkie does not get bullied out of food and water, or hurt.

Good luck and enjoy the new babies!

Back
Top Bottom