1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moving brooder from house to shed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by UpstateNewbie, Apr 16, 2017.

1. UpstateNewbie

UpstateNewbie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    Albany, NY
    I currently have 6 chicks (three 1-wk olds and three 2-wk olds) all doing great. They are in a 55 gallon fish tank (in the house) with a brinsea heater. I would like to move them to my 4'x5' wooden brooder box soon to give them more room. The bigger brooder is in my shed which protects from elements but is not insulated or anything. The temps in upstate NY are crazy this time of year- today it will be 81 but the next several days will be in the 50s, nighttime temps in the low 40s. Do you think it will be ok to move them out there with only the brinsea? I really don't want to start messing with heat lamps :/ What do you guys think?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

They will need heat till they feather...It might be a bit too cold with only the Brinsea heater ?.....

Best of luck.....

Cheers!

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You have nothing to be concerned about unless the temps get down to the low 30s. The heat source should be adequate for the temps you describe.

Things to consider are drafts, moisture, and predators. Also, it would be best to acclimatize your chicks with day trips outdoor during the day for a few days prior to the move so the cooler temps won't be a shock. If temps fall down toward freezing, you may need to modify the Brinsea with a towel draped over it to form a three sided tent. You might want to run a "Plan B" experiment before that actually happens to see what that would do to the temperature under the Brinsea. I have no experience with them, myself.

As long as chicks have a warm spot under which to warm up, they can handle quite cool temps. I heat with a heating pad and have my chicks outside in temps into the 30s at night and 50s during the day but they are accustomed to it because they have been there since day one.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by